Freedom Quotes : Famous quotes about freedom



“The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.” 
― Gloria Steinem

“The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.” 
― Coco Chanel

“Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.” 
― Mahatma Gandhi

“Lock up your libraries if you like, but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.” 
― Virginia Woolf, A Room Of One's Own

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” 
― Benjamin Franklin, Memoirs of the life & writings of Benjamin Franklin

“The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. There can't be any large-scale revolution until there's a personal revolution, on an individual level. It's got to happen inside first.” 
― Jim Morrison

“War is peace. 
Freedom is slavery. 
Ignorance is strength.” 
― George Orwell, 1984

“Rochester: "Jane, be still; don't struggle so like a wild, frantic bird, that is rending its own plumage in its desperation."

Jane: "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being, with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you.” 
― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre


“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”
― S.G. Tallentyre


“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” 
― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

“Freedom lies in being bold.” 
― Robert Frost

“Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.” 
― Jim Morrison

“Let children read whatever they want and then talk about it with them. If parents and kids can talk together, we won't have as much censorship because we won't have as much fear.” 
― Judy Blume

“I'm single because I was born that way.” 
― Mae West

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” 
― Sinclair Lewis

“Now that she had nothing to lose, she was free.” 
― Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes

“You see, freedom has a way of destroying things.” 
― Scott Westerfeld, Extras

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” 
― Toni Morrison, Song of Solomon

“Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.” 
― Abraham Lincoln

“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.” 
― Søren Kierkegaard

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” 
― Robert A. Heinlein

“The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you.” 
― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest

“Better to die fighting for freedom then be a prisoner all the days of your life.” 
― Bob Marley

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” 
― Thomas Jefferson

“Nothing, Everything, Anything, Something: If you have nothing, then you have everything, because you have the freedom to do anything, without the fear of losing something.” 
― Jarod Kintz, ..

“Marriage is a fine institution, but I'm not ready for an institution.” 
― Mae West, The 2,548 Best Things Anybody Ever Said

“It’s probably not just by chance that I’m alone. It would be very hard for a man to live with me, unless he’s terribly strong. And if he’s stronger than I, I’m the one who can’t live with him. … I’m neither smart nor stupid, but I don’t think I’m a run-of-the-mill person. I’ve been in business without being a businesswoman, I’ve loved without being a woman made only for love. The two men I’ve loved, I think, will remember me, on earth or in heaven, because men always remember a woman who caused them concern and uneasiness. I’ve done my best, in regard to people and to life, without precepts, but with a taste for justice.” 
― Coco Chanel

“But the Hebrew word, the word timshel—‘Thou mayest’— that gives a choice. It might be the most important word in the world. That says the way is open. That throws it right back on a man. For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” 
― John Steinbeck, East of Eden

“The secret of happiness is freedom, the secret of freedom is courage.” 
― Carrie Jones, Need

“Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally” 
― Abraham Lincoln

“Some birds are not meant to be caged, that's all. Their feathers are too bright, their songs too sweet and wild. So you let them go, or when you open the cage to feed them they somehow fly out past you. And the part of you that knows it was wrong to imprison them in the first place rejoices, but still, the place where you live is that much more drab and empty for their departure.” 
― Stephen King, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption: A Story from Different Seasons

“Better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre

“If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.” 
― Noam Chomsky

“I am not an angel,' I asserted; 'and I will not be one till I die: I will be myself. Mr. Rochester, you must neither expect nor exact anything celestial of me - for you will not get it, any more than I shall get it of you: which I do not at all anticipate.” 
― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

“I do not think, sir, you have any right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience.” 
― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

“Who is more to be pitied, a writer bound and gagged by policemen or one living in perfect freedom who has nothing more to say?” 
― Kurt Vonnegut

“The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.” 
― David Foster Wallace, This is Water

“Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does. 
It is up to you to give [life] a meaning.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre

“Some tourists think Amsterdam is a city of sin, but in truth it is a city of freedom. And in freedom, most people find sin.” 
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.”
― James Bovard, Lost Rights: The Destruction of American Liberty

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” 
― C.S. Lewis

“And the turtles, of course...all the turtles are free, as turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be.” 
― Dr. Seuss, Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories

“Don't join the book burners. Don't think you're going to conceal faults by concealing evidence that they ever existed. Don't be afraid to go in your library and read every book...” 
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

“I have found both freedom and safety in my madness; the freedom of loneliness and the safety from being understood, for those who understand us enslave something in us.” 
― Khalil Gibran, The Madman

“He who has overcome his fears will truly be free.” 
― Aristotle

“Freedom is what we do with what is done to us.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre

“Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom.” 
― Søren Kierkegaard

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” 
― José Martí

“When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.” 
― Thomas Jefferson

“For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.” 
― Nelson Mandela

Comments